What to Expect at the Airport in Canada
Going through Customs
All travellers to Canada are required to meet with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) upon arrival at an official Port of Entry. Students must ensure they have all required documents to enter the country as specified by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
You will go through two interviews with a CBSA officer when you arrive in Canada. The first interview will focus on documentation. The second interview is for you to declare what you’re bringing with you into Canada. Learn more about typical questions you may be asked.
Getting a Study Permit
Students requiring a study permit will need to pick up their permit before leaving the airport
To pick up your permit, you must:
- Ensure you have all the documents you need to enter Canada in your carry on luggage
- Follow signs to baggage pick up and customs
- Speak directly to a border officer when you arrive in the customs area. Students travelling without parents cannot use the electronic kiosk option.
- Pick up your luggage
- Proceed to Immigration to pick up your study permit
- Check your study permit before you leave the officer's desk to make sure all information is accurate
Not sure where to go when you land in Vancouver? Review the YVR arrival guide: https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/navigate-yvr/passenger-guides